Thursday, March 10, 2011

Personality Conflict

I love different personalities. The nuances of our psyches fascinate me (with the exception of sociopaths and serial killers). I'm especially interested in two groups, whom I'll call Type A and Laid Back.

Most who know me put me in the Type A category (and rightly so). I've managed to trick a few people into believing I'm Laid Back, but that belief never lasts long. I'm a classic Type A, over-achieving, driven, stubborn, competitive, intellectual who over-analyzes things to death. The upside of this personality type is that we're tenacious, leaders, detail-oriented and typically movers and shakers (though I try not to shake for the sake of those around me). The downside is, we're bossy, we mow people over if they don't move fast enough, we're perfectionists to the point of obsession, we don't always play well with others, and we don't know how to relax.

The Laid Back people I know go with the flow, don't sweat the small stuff, stop to smell the roses, see the big picture, and are team players. On the other hand, they can be unmotivated, too accommodating, and they lack direction because...well, they're Laid Back. As you can see, I don't know as much about this group, but boy would I like to know their secret.

I envy those who are Laid Back. I would love to wake up one morning and smile, knowing my day could go any direction and I would roll with it. (People who know me are laughing right now at the very thought). Despite the image our society has created, multi-tasking, perfectionism, and over-achieving shouldn't be the ideal we strive for. They're mentally taxing. They're so time and energy-consuming, there's not much left to simply enjoy life. And that's something we should all strive to do--enjoy our lives, every imperfect, crazy, amazing moment.

I'm blessed to know people who have Laid Back qualities. They step up and remind me to let go or take a step back. And I swear, I try. I hope I can return the favor. If they ever need someone to mow down...er...encourage them, I'm happy to help. But I'd much rather be Laid Back. I'd love to take a day, a week, or a year and meander through life. I'd like to let the experiences come to me, rather than chase them down.

Maybe I'll put that on my Life To Do List. For now, I'll live vicariously through my happy-go-lucky friends and dream.
Jess

No comments: